Monday, September 28, 2009

Fashion Illustration


Ever since being beguiled by Gustav Klimt, I've always wanted to do a fashion illustration with patterns. The piece was not as successful as I wanted it to be but it was quite the learning experiencing. A lot of push and pull with colors and composition, although I did not have much to work with in the original drawing. Another lesson learned is to have alot or preferably everything planned out from the very beginning. Our digital illustration professor said that Adobe Illustrator is not a program that will get your creative juices flowing. So you have to be prepared when planning to use it.

So the assignment was to livetrace (argh!) an ink drawing. Livetrace has the uncanny ability to suck the life out of anything. Or maybe I just do not know how to use it correctly. I referenced a fashion blog, Childhood Flames again to help me with the drawing. Here is the inked drawing.
I've also learned quite a bit about patterns. The negative space becomes very important as it strongly affects the color average of the pattern. This then can affect the composition. I then realized you have to be very meticulous and fine tune all the tiny details if you want a pattern to do what it can do. Hopefully I'll get some good practice of this in the future and begin screenprinting some images with these patterns.




1 comment:

  1. Nice drops of knowledge, filled with inspiration and nougat.

    ReplyDelete